Year 10 Work Experience September 2019
Please find below letters and proformas that have been issued to students in school.
22nd January 2019
Year 11 Work Experience – Monday 2nd September until Thursday 5th September 2019
Academic Review Day – Friday 6th September 2019
As you may have heard from your son/daughter, all Year 11 will be on work experience from Monday 2nd September until Thursday 5th September. Academic Review Day will be Friday 6th September.
We launched this as a pilot programme last year with our current Year 11’s and it was a resounding success – almost the entire year group has had some kind of valuable work experience and the feedback from students, parents and employers was overwhelmingly positive.
We do not have the capacity to seek placements for students here at school and so securing the work experience is entirely down to you as a family and your son’s and daughter’s – this is not always as easy as it sounds and so we hope that by letting you know now (I spoke to students back in September) it will give you all plenty of time to research and prepare.
During Arts week this year, Year 10 will enjoy a slightly different programme of activities to the younger ones with 2 full days of careers advice, information about the 6th form and progression, as well as a great deal of advice and guidance about how to get the most out of their work experience placements.
I have attached some of the paperwork for you to read in advance and perhaps use if you already have an idea about where to source a placement.
A few pointers that you might find helpful:
- Some employers prefer students over the age of 18, this might be the case for some but our experience tells us that there are plenty out there who will accept under 18’s.
- Your son/daughter will be covered by the school’s insurance as well as the employer’s liability insurance – this is because it is deemed to be an educational activity.
- You can be flexible with the times you seek the experience from – for example if you are only able to secure a 2 day placement with one employer you can look for a second 2 day placement elsewhere.
- There will be no school for Year 11 from Monday 2nd September until Thursday 5th September.
- All Year 11 will be given an appointment for Academic Review Day which will be held on Friday 6th September. At the appointment we will discuss Year 10 attainment, Year 11 targets and distance to travel to target grades by Summer 2020.
Thank you – I will of course be contacting you much nearer the time to make all the final arrangements for September 2019.
Ms J Nicholas
Senior Deputy Headteacher